• Lorraine Spiotta

If you or a family member are caring for someone and would like to go on vacation, consider these options:

  1. Adult children take over.

  2. Adult children take over with the help of a home health aide in the morning to a assist with bathing and dressing for a few hours a day.

  3. Assisted Living Facility possibly close to the adult children’s home so they can visit.

  4. Nursing Home.

  5. 24-hour home health aide (live in).

When speaking with any of the above-mentioned resources refer to a short stay as “respite” and usually the assisted living facility will have a furnished room for these types of stays. To shop around for the best daily rate ask the following:

  • What is included? 

  • What might be an add-on services?

  • Discuss specific needs that your family member has and if the facility is equipped to handle those needs.

Short stays require you pay in full prior to the person’s arrival. It is important to ask about the refund policy if for some reason the person changes their mind and/or goes to the hospital. If the person needing care has a long-term care insurance policy and their doctor certifies that the current illness will last 90 days or more, I would suggest submitting a claim and the respite stay maybe covered by the insurance policy. All policies vary; therefore, you must check with your insurance carrier for specific details and qualifications.

4 views0 comments
  • Lorraine Spiotta

It is such a pleasure to visit so many nursing homes like Del Ridge Family of Caring in Paramus. These heroes are awesome! You can actually feel their warmth and smiles through the masks. Stayed tuned while Hospice of New Jersey continues to visit other locations.

20 views0 comments
  • Lorraine Spiotta

It is hard to understand the ins and outs of Medicare but here are a couple of simple points.

Each Medicare “Part” has its own enrollment period, late enrollment penalty, deductibles and premiums. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits you will most likely automatically be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. If not, you must enroll by contacting Medicare. Medicare Eligibility - if older than age 65 (the common age for receiving Medicare)

  • You are a US citizen or have a resident visa.

  • You qualify under your spouse’s or former spouse’s work record and he/she is at least 62 and: 1. you’ve been married for at least 1 year; or 2. you were married for at least ten years and you haven’t remarried before age 60.

Medicare Eligibility - if younger than age 65 (and meet certain other requirements)

  • You are receiving Social Security and Disability benefits for at least 24 months.

  • You have permanent kidney failure (End Stage Renal Disease) or ALS.

18 views0 comments

Guiding Your Enthusiasm for Independence (732) 651-1495

© 2021 by Lorraine Spiotta Insurance Consultant

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter